Feel like you need a little pick me up after this weekends festivities? Refuel and reenergize yourself with this nutrient-dense, vitamin-packed green smoothie. Loaded with bananas, pineapples and spinach, you won’t believe how sweet and delicious this health-supportive powerhouse tastes. And don’t be afraid of the spinach…I promise you won’t even know it’s in there. Have kids? Throw this smoothie into a popsicle mold and watch their delight as they enjoy an electric green popsicle while you enjoy all the added health benefits.
- Pineapples are anti-inflammatory and with their high vitamin C they protect our bodies from the free radicals, which attack healthy cells. Vitamin C is considered the most important water-soluble anti-oxidant that fights against disease-inducing substances within the body.
- Pineapple contains a proteolytic enzyme called bromelain, which aids digestion, especially the digestion of protein.
- High in manganese, pineapple is a natural energy booster.
- Pineapples lessen the risk of hypertension, maintain eye health, and contain enzymes that lead to elastic and glowing skin.
- Bananas are high in Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, and magnesium, while free of sodium and cholesterol.
- The potassium in bananas helps regulate the body’s water balance.
- Bananas stimulate the cells on the internal stomach lining to protect against acid.
- Bananas contain protease inhibitors that help eliminate bacteria in the stomach.
- Bananas contain tryptophan, an amino acid that can be converted to serotonin, leading to improved mood
- Bananas are a good source of fructooligosaccharide, a prebiotic compound, which nourishes probiotic bacteria in the colon. These friendly bacteria help improve our ability to absorb dietary nutrients.
- Spinach is loaded with fiber, which aids in digestion, maintains low blood sugar, and curbs overeating.
- Spinach is high in vitamins A, C, and K, plus folic acid, calcium and magnesium.
- The vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, manganese, zinc and selenium present in spinach all serve as powerful disease-fighting antioxidants
- The antioxidant properties of spinach (water-soluble in the form of vitamin C and fat-soluble beta-carotene) work together to promote good cardiovascular health by preventing the harmful oxidation of cholesterol.
- The high amount of vitamin A in spinach promotes healthy skin and strengthened immunity.
- The high lutein content in spinach makes it one of the best foods in the world to prevent cataracts, as well as age related macular degeneration.
- The flavonoids in spinach protect brain function from premature aging.
Recipe: Sweet Green Smoothie
- 2 medium or 3 small bananas, broken into pieces
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 handful ice cubes
Add all ingredients into blender with 1/2 cup of water. Blend until smooth, adding more water in small increments until desired consistency is reached.