It’s going to be 75 degrees in NYC this weekend. This means my smoothie intake is about to skyrocket; whether it’s for breakfast, a mid-afternoon pick-me-up or just plain enjoyment. And while a typical smoothie at your local health food store/juice shop may taste great, it can financially add up. Not to mention most are really just ice cream sundaes in disguise. For these reasons, I prefer to make mine at home (plus, you can pack it with the vitamins and minerals of your choice).
Antioxidant Triple Berry Banana Smoothie
- 1cup strawberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup blackberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ banana
- ½ avocado
- 2 cups coconut water
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
Use immersion blender or add all ingredients into conventional blender; puree until smooth.
(If using an immersion blender and frozen fruit, be sure fruit is defrosted)
- Berries: are extremely high in Vitamin C, contain significant levels of phytonutrients and are an antioxidant powerhouse.
- Avocado: is high in fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid.
- Coconut Water: is extremely high in electrolytes and filled with immune boosting vitamins and nutrients such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
- Flaxseed Meal: High in Fiber, Lignans (an antioxidant) and Alpha-linolenic Acid (an Omega-3).